5 Reasons to pick the Algarve for a Guys’ Holiday
Although holidays with the guys are a big part of being a man, it can sometimes be a headache trying to choose where the hell to go. With everyone wanting different things, finding somewhere to spend your well-deserved time off can require some serious thought. One suggestion to blow the competition out of the water is the Algarve in Portugal, which can please even your fussiest friends.
- The Bar Scene in Vilamoura – one of the best nightlife spots in the region, Vilamoura is teeming with bars for those all-important holiday drinks. Pure Bar and the Liquor Lounge both have a huge range of cocktails, as well as all of your favourite beers. Café Sete, owned by footballer Luis Figo, is a great place to spend the evening at the marina, or there’s the Casino for cabaret shows and the chance to win big on your night out.
- Get Competitive with Golf – golf in the Algarve is everywhere, and you’ll see why once you’ve taken to the greens yourself. Hotspots for playing with the guys include Quinta da Ria and Quinta de Cima, which are two lush courses surrounded by Algarvian countryside, and Boavista in the Western Algarve, which has views of the Atlantic Ocean from most holes. Set aside an afternoon to get into the swing and see which of you has the best handicap.
- Hit the Race Track – in Portimao City you’d be crazy to ignore the huge Autodromo Algarve, which hosts superbike and rally car races throughout the year. Visitors can watch events during peak season, or test out bikes on the tarmac on regular track days. Fancy riding a Honda CBR 1000 RR or getting behind the wheel of a Porsche GT3? It can be done here.
- Go Clubbing Outdoors – one event not to miss in the summer is the amazing pop-up outdoor club on the outskirts of Vilamoura, called Bliss. Every July and August you’ll find the hottest DJs and acts playing to a field full of revellers until the small hours, including Swedish House Mafia for 2012.
- Unwind in the Sun and Sand – if you’ve got a friend who’d prefer to keep things a little less active, let them know about the region’s great record for weather, which has enough sunshine to rival California. The best beaches include the remote Praia do Barril, reached by boat from Tavira, Praia do Alvor, with its own cliff-side bar, and Praia da Falésia, next to the buzzing town of Albufeira.
With a classic mixture of sports, sun-drenched days and hot nights in the local bars, the Algarve is ideal for a men-only holiday with your friends. Now you just have to work out which activity to do first…